Prized for portraiture, the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM from Canon is a short-telephoto prime characterized by its slightly compressed perspective for achieving flattering results. Its bright f/1.8 maximum aperture also enables isolating subjects and working with shallow depth of field techniques, and further benefits working in low-light conditions. Helping to achieve high colour fidelity and contrast, a Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements and serves to minimize reflections, lens flare and ghosting. Additionally, a ring-type USM is employed to deliver quick and quiet autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus control.
- Short-telephoto, portrait-length prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however, can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 136mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords greater control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and colour neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override. Additionally, the front of the lens does not rotate during focusing to better permit working with polarizing and graduated filter types.
- Rounded eight-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
|Lens Mount||Canon EF|
|Angle of View||28° 30'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||2.79' / 85 cm|
|Optical Design||9 Elements in 7 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||8, Rounded|
|Filter Size||58 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||2.95 x 2.81" / 74.93 x 71.37 mm|
|Weight||15 oz / 425 g|